Pages

Friday, January 6, 2017

Devastation at Calapan from Typhoon Nina

It is more fun criticizing

Rizal Philippines
December 6, 2017

I went to Calapan yesterday to visit our colleagues if not to say hello to them after the typhoon devastated the island province, especially Calapan.  It took me 7 hours to reach Calapan.   I left at 4 am and reached the city by 11 am.  I was in Galleria by  5 am but reached Batangas port by 8:30.    I was able to catch the 9 am Fast Cat but not fast enough to do 1 hour 30 minute trip.

Power has not been fully restored.  Com:   cp and internet are still spotty in places. But you can see signs of a very powerful typhoon that passed:   roofless houses, trees without leaves and even with their bark peeled.  The winds were howling according to the residents and many flood in many places.

Calapan according to the residents was placed in state of calamity.  (It should be)

On the way back, I rode the Starlite (the biggest and the most modern of all)  It left at 3:00 pm the others would leave at 5:00 pm (I made a big mistake - the 5 pm vessels docked at Batangas port ahead of Starlite.  It arrived at 5:00 pm but was able to dock past 6 because its causeway was blocked by another Starlite.

I should have avoided it because a Starlite vessel ran aground in Mabini Batangas during typhoon Ninas wrath.