Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I sat beside a Phil Navy rescuer who just came from Bohol and Leyte disaster

Social and political criticisms

                     Ang pagpupulong ng search and rescue team na kinabibilangan ng AFP, Phil Navy, PAF at ng OCD nitong Sabado kaugnay ng paglubog ng barkong MV Lady of Mt. Carmel. (ALLAN YANGA MANANSALA / Photoville International)

PN rescuer from Bohol and Leyte tragedy

On the way to an appointment in Central Business District yesterday afternoon, I happenned to sit beside a bus a man who had  a back pack, wearing orange T shirt and many markings (which includes a paratrooper patch on it) on them, a tiny flash light attached to his divers watch, and a two way radio.  I remarked and asked question , "How was it in Leyte?" And he answered it was tiring.

Was there an op plan for clearing and dead body retrieval operations?

What did he do there?  Security, relief distribution?  No.  Retrieval of the dead.  He was being relieved to rest.  He had not been home since Bohol earthquake.  They were first responders to Bohol and then to Leyte.  It has been a long and difficult tour of duty. He lamented that there was no plan on say dead body retrieval operations. He is a native of Inabanga Bohol.

  He has to go back to Leyte after a week.

Are we prepared in MM just in case? Do they teach disaster preparedness in business school?

He asked me what do I do for a living?  I said I teach sometimes in a school of business.  He asked if we teach disaster management/response in the school.  I said no.  He said perhaps it should be.  He is worried about a 7.2 magnitude  earthquake preparedness in MM.  Are there rescue clearing operations in place?  I said that as far as I know.  There is.  May be it is time to review and rehearse the rescue people.  And have regular drills?

On parting, I shook his hand, I saluted him and I said, " The country and I thank you for the wonderful job that you did for our brothers who lost during the tragedies, and he must keep doing such a thankless and good job."  I hope that was consolation for  job well done at his level.